Soyinka, Falana, Others Pay Tribute, Lay Wreath On Abiola’s Grave
Nobel Laureate Wole Soyinka, Human Rights lawyer Femi Falana and several others on Sunday, gathered to commemorate the 21st anniversary of the death of Chief Moshood Abiola.
They gathered at his residence in Ikeja, Lagos for a wreath-laying ceremony even as they expressed concerns about the state of the nation.
The late Chief Abiola, the acclaimed winner of the June 12, 1993, presidential election, died on July 7, 1998, after spending years in detention in the fight for his mandate and for Nigeria’s return to democracy.
Soyinka, as well as some others present at the ceremony, while paying tribute to Abiola lamented that Nigeria has not achieved his vision and Nigerians were still battling poverty and injustice among other things.
The Nobel Laureate, who has repeatedly called for decisive action to combat insecurity in the country, drew attention to the rate of poverty in the country.
“I am afraid. Just looking at the level of poverty scares me. I am afraid for this nation,” he said.
“For the first time, in a very deep, visceral way, I really am afraid for this country.”
Mr Falana, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, recalled Abiola’s vision of the nation and called for unity.
He said, “Abiola stood for justice for all. Abiola’s mandate was a reflection of the popular will of the people. That mandate, that election defied ethnicity, religion or any other primordial consideration.
“Therefore, if we want to recognise June 12, if we want to celebrate Abiola, we must celebrate the unity of our people and not the disunity of our country”.
Updated on July 7, 2019 at 8:17 PM and categorized under National Politics
New and Trending
- Buhari Welcomes British Govt’s Focus On Herder/Farmer Clashes
- Buhari orders MINT to take over printing of Nigerian E-passports
- EFCC tracks Kwara’s N370M to UK…
- Market women, labour groups, pensioners, youths, others pledge support for Obaseki’s govt
- Breaking: New Nigeria passport has herdsmen inscribed on it – Apostle Suleiman alerts By Anthony Ogbonna
- EFCC Embarks On Road Walk To Mark African Anti-Corruption Day
- FG Committed To Halting The Menace Of Corruption – Boss Mustapha
- Senate To Summon National Communications Commission (NCC)
- Server controversy : INEC boss lied on oath – Timi Frank …Commends Reno, wants more Nigerians come with evidences
- Ministerial List: Buhari hosts NASS leadership to dinner Thursday Writes NASS on Appointment of 15 Special Advisers
- Oyo Ready To Inject Counterpart Funding Into UBEC/SUBEB Projects
- How Kanu Stole The Show After Super Eagles Beat Bafana Bafana
- Senate to liaise with Reps over Edo Assembly crisis
- Ruga is an abomination, should be withdrawn not suspended — Clark
- KOGI APC GOV TICKET: Bello’s headache, NWC’s dilemma