We Will Do Our Best To Help Libya Stabilise – Buhari
President Muhammadu Buhari has assured the Head of Libya’s Government of National Accord (GNA), Fayez Al-Sarraj that Nigeria will continue to support the North Africa country regain political and security stability.
In a statement by Special Adviser to the President on Media & Publicity, Femi Adesina, both leaders met on the margins of the AU Summit in Niamey, Niger Republic, on Sunday, to discuss bilateral issues between Nigeria and Libya.
President Buhari also discussed the humanitarian crisis arising from insurgency and the drying up of Lake Chad, which has affected over 30 million people in the region who depend on the Lake for farming, fishing and animal husbandry.
He also decried the menace of terrorism in the Sahel countries, noting that the instability in Libya has been a negative force on the Sahel.
Mr Al-Sarraj noted that there were over 6000 Nigerians in Libya, who see Libya as a gateway to Europe, and some Nigerians defy the desert to make perilous journeys across the Mediterranean and the Sahara Desert to Europe.
He told the President Buhari that there had been a lot of deaths and injuries in his country, pledging that his government was determined to put an end to the situation.
‘‘The aggression must stop. The solution is not military alone we also believe in diplomacy. We are also victims of terrorism, just like Nigeria.”
Al-Sarraj declared that Libya contributed a lot to the establishment and survival of the AU, adding that it was now time for Africa to reciprocate.
Updated on December 3, 0001 at 12:00 AM and categorized under National Politics
New and Trending
- Buhari Welcomes British Govt’s Focus On Herder/Farmer Clashes
- Buhari orders MINT to take over printing of Nigerian E-passports
- EFCC tracks Kwara’s N370M to UK…
- Market women, labour groups, pensioners, youths, others pledge support for Obaseki’s govt
- Breaking: New Nigeria passport has herdsmen inscribed on it – Apostle Suleiman alerts By Anthony Ogbonna
- EFCC Embarks On Road Walk To Mark African Anti-Corruption Day
- FG Committed To Halting The Menace Of Corruption – Boss Mustapha
- Senate To Summon National Communications Commission (NCC)
- Server controversy : INEC boss lied on oath – Timi Frank …Commends Reno, wants more Nigerians come with evidences
- Ministerial List: Buhari hosts NASS leadership to dinner Thursday Writes NASS on Appointment of 15 Special Advisers
- Oyo Ready To Inject Counterpart Funding Into UBEC/SUBEB Projects
- How Kanu Stole The Show After Super Eagles Beat Bafana Bafana
- Senate to liaise with Reps over Edo Assembly crisis
- Ruga is an abomination, should be withdrawn not suspended — Clark
- KOGI APC GOV TICKET: Bello’s headache, NWC’s dilemma